Zucchini and tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz. onion, thinly sliced (with a mandoline or other tool)
- 1.5 lb zucchini, cut into 1/8"-thick slices (with a mandoline or other tool)
- one 14.5 oz can of organic fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- several sprigs of fresh thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)
Pour olive oil in a large pan (I use my deep sauté pan. Warm up, then add the onion and stir to coat well Add the leaves of the thyme sprigs (a teaspoon or so), cover and cook for 10 minutes stirring a few times.
Add the tomatoes to the pan. Pour a tablespoon of water into the empty can and swirl around, then pour the water into the pan. Cover and cook onion and tomatoes on low for 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini to the pan, stir well, cover and cook on low for 20-25 minutes. Check the zucchini after 15 minutes and estimate the time remaining to cook them until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with, optionally, some Parmigiano-Reggiano on the side.