Tromboncino squash with tomatoes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: saute side gluten-free kosher low-carb vegetarian vegan tomatoes onion tromboncino squash Italian
Ingredients (Serves 5)
- 1 1/2 pound tromboncino squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil (in a mister)
- A small (3 oz.) onion, possibly of the variety called cipollini, finely diced
- 1 cup / 240 ml slow-roasted heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Wash the squash and cut it into 3/8-inch / 1 cm slices, then cut each sliced into quarters, adjusting your cutting to accommodate the curves of the squash.
Generously oil the bottom of a 10 inch / 25 cm deep sauté pan and warm up, then add the onion and stir well to coat. Let the onion cook on low heat until softened, then add the squash and stir well. Turn up the heat to medium-low and cook for a a few minutes, then cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
Cook until the squash is tender, stirring now and then. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Continue to cook on gentle heat briefly to make sure the tomatoes warm up. Sprinkle the oregano, salt and pepper on the squash and stir well for one last time. Remove from the heat and serve.