Zucchini, carrot and tomato side dish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: side gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian summer carrot zucchini tomatoes onion
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 3 ounces / 85 g carrot
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces / 56 g spring onion, red or white, diced small
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon Harissa spice mix (depending on brand and personal preference)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-9 ounces /225-255 g zucchini (I particularly like the Costata Romanesco variety)
- 5 ounces cherry plum or grape tomatoes
- 3-4 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 3/4 ounce / 20 g freshly grated cheese of choice, optional: if you omit it, the dish is vegan
Scrub carrot(s) well and scrape surface to remove a thin layer of skin, then grate using the extra-coarse side of a hand grater.
Warm up the olive oil in 10-inch/25-cm skillet.
Add the onion, lower the heat and stir, then after 1 minute, add the grated carrot and stir. After 2 minutes, sprinkle the harissa spice mix, stir well and cover. Cook on low heat for 6 minutes, until the onion is soft.
In the meantime, trim the zucchini and grate using the extra-coarse side of a hand grater.
Uncover the skillet, add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, turn up the heat to medium, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Cover, lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes.
In the meantime, quarter the tomatoes.
Uncover the skillet, add the tomatoes and stir. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the zucchini are tender. Sprinkle the basil and the sea salt, stir well. Turn off the heat, sprinkle the cheese on the vegetables and cover.