Tomato and date chutney
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: condiment gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan tomatoes dates raisins
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 4 dates pitted and chopped small
- 1 tablespoon raisins (chopped before measured, if pieces are large)
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
- 9 ounces / 250 grams ripe globe tomatoes (3 tomatoes); see above for discussion about types of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (original recipe: mustard oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon each of cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and nigella seeds
- 1 small Italian dry red chili (3/4 inch / 2 cm long), quartered and de-seeded
- 1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh Meyer lemon juice (original recipe: dry mango powder), optional
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
Make sure the dried fruit does not contain added sugar. Put the dried fruit in a ramekin and add the lukewarm water, then stir. Let the fruit absorb the water for 15-20 minutes, stirring 2-3 times.
In the meantime, chop the tomatoes and gather them into a bowl.
Heat up an 8-inch / 20-cm cast iron skillet, add the olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the 5 types of seeds and the peperoncino. Stir and fry briefly until the first seeds pop.
Add the grated ginger, stir and cook until the ginger is cooked but not brown.
Add the tomatoes and stir well. Cover the skillet and let the tomatoes cook on low heat until quite soft (6-8 minutes or as needed). Stir a couple of times while cooking.
Add the dry fruit and stir. Add the lemon juice and stir.
Cook on medium heat, uncovered, stirring and mashing the tomatoes against the side of the skillet with the back of the wooden spoon or spatula used for stirring. Cook until the chutney is thick, 5 minutes or so. (On the other hand, if the chutney becomes dry, add some warm water.)
Take the skillet off the heat, sprinkle the salt and stir.
Serve the chutney warm or at room temperature.
If you have any leftovers, store in a small airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days (it never lasted that long at our house).