Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes total
Keywords: steam bake appetizer entree nut-free soy-free zucchini pork cheese
Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
- 2 round zucchini, about 12 ounces / 340 g, possibly organic
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces / 42 g fresh onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Harissa spice mix
- 2 ounces / 56 g ground pork
- 3/4 ounce / 20 g sliced prosciutto crudo, cut into small pieces
- fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 ounce / 28 g cheese (pecorino or sharp cheddar), grated
Cut the top of each zucchini and set aside. With the help of a melon baller, scoop out the pulp from each zucchini, leaving a thickness of about 1/4 inch / 6 mm. Finely dice the pulp.
Precook the zucchini by steaming them (body and top) until just tender. Set aside.
Warm up a small skillet and add the olive oil. Add the onion, stir and cook on gentle heat until translucent and soft, stirring often. Add the garlic and stir. After 1 minute sprinkle the Harissa spice mix and stir. After 1 minute, add the pork and stir while at the same time crumbling the meat with a fork.
When the meat is no longer pink, add the diced pulp and stir well. After 2-3 minutes, cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, then remove the lid, add the prosciutto and stir. Continue cooking until the zucchini pulp is soft and the water released has evaporated.
Adjust salt, give it a final stir and take off the heat. Let cool, then add the cheese and stir well.
Heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
Spoon half the stuffing into each zucchini, pressing gently to make it all fit. Place the zucchini on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper and put the top on. Place the baking sheet in the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes.