Roasted tromboncino squash with tomatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: side gluten-free soy-free sugar-free summer squash tomatoes garlic
Ingredients (serves 5)
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds / 680 grams tromboncino squash
- 8 ounces / 225 grams tomatoes, like Prairie fire or Early girl or other meaty variety
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh leaves of winter savory or thyme or a mix of the two herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Harissa spice mix, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Optional toppings, to be added when the dish is ready, just out of the oven: nutritional yeast (which keeps the dish vegan) or freshly grated cheese (like pecorino toscano)
Heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
Distribute half of the olive oil on the bottom of a 3 quart / 3 liter (13"x 9" x 2" / 33 x 23 x 5 cm) glass baking dish.
Wash the squash and cut it into slices (no more than 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm thick), then pile 2-3 slices and cut into 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm cubes, adjusting your cutting to accommodate the curves of the squash. Quarter the tomatoes lengthwise. If using elongated tomatoes, like Prairie fire, halve them crosswise. If using larger tomatoes, like Early girl, slice them.
Place all the vegetables (squash, tomatoes, garlic) in the baking dish, sprinkle with the herb(s) and harissa and drizzle the remaining olive oil on top, then stir to mix. Place the baking dish in the oven. After 20 minutes, take the baking dish out of the oven and stir the vegetables. After another 15-20 minutes, check a piece of zucchini and gauge whether the dish is done or needs a few more minutes.
When the vegetables are ready, take the baking dish out of the oven, sprinkle the sea salt and stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve out of the baking dish or transfer onto a serving dish and serve.