Roasted eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: side gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan summer fall eggplant zucchini tomatoes garlic
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant (or 2 small ones) 12 ounces / 340 grams
- 2 zucchini 9 ounces / 250 grams
- 6 ounces / 170 grams cherry plum, cherry or grape tomatoes: a variety that is good for roasting
- 2 plums or 1 peach 4 ounces / 112 grams, optional but good
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh leaves of winter savory or thyme or a mix of the two
- 1/4 teaspoon Penzey's Arizona Dreaming Seasoning OR a pinch each of ground paprika, cumin, black pepper, ancho or chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
Heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
Distribute the olive oil on the bottom of a 3 quart / 3 liter (13"x 9" x 2" / 33 x 23 x 5 cm) glass baking dish.
Dice all the vegetables. Eggplant: slice crosswise (no more than 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm thick), then pile 2-3 slices and dice. Zucchini: quarter them lengthwise then slice crosswise (no more than 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm thick). If the zucchini is plump, divide each half into thirds lengthwise before slicing. Tomatoes: halve the small ones, quarter the larger ones, lengthwise. Cut the fruit in bite-sized pieces.
Place all the vegetables and fruit, if using, in the baking dish, sprinkle the herb(s) and seasoning (or spices). Stir to mix. Place the baking dish in the oven. After 20 minutes, take the baking dish out of the oven and stir the vegetables. After another 5 minutes, check a piece of eggplant and a piece of zucchini: the dish may be done or may need a few more minutes.
When the vegetables are ready, take the baking dish out of the oven, sprinkle the sea salt and stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve out of the baking dish or transfer into a serving dish and serve.