Red-cooked tofu with mushrooms
Prep Time: 15 minutes total + time to drain and marinate tofu
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: stir-fry entree side gluten-free low-carb nut-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan tofu mushrooms Chinese
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 7 ounces / 200 g extra-firm organic tofu
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml dark soy sauce (I use tamari)
- 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 7 ounces / 200 g cremini mushrooms
- 1 ounce / 30 g shallot
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley as topping
InstructionsHow to prepare the tofu
Drain tofu and wrap it in a clean kitchen towel. Let stand for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients: soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic clove and Chinese five-spice powder.
Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm cubes, place in a shallow dish and pour the marinade on it. Toss gently and let rest for 30 minutes.How to cook the dish
Clean and thinly slice the mushrooms. Drain the tofu, put the mushrooms in the dish with the leftover marinade and stir.
Thinly slice the shallot.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the sesame oil in a wok or stainless steel skillet with slanted sides over medium heat and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Transfer it from the wok to a bowl and set aside.
Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the wok, add the shallot and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and scrape the dish that held them. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then slightly lower the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms have softened, stirring almost continuously.
Add the tofu back and cook gently for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Sprinkle the parsley, toss and serve immediately.