Prep Time: 20 minutes + resting time for the dough
Cook Time: 50 minutes total
Keywords: bake appetizer entree nut-free soy-free vegetarian onion ricotta Italian
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1 3/4 ounces / 50 g whole-wheat pastry flour, possibly stone-ground
- 7/8 ounces / 25 g whole-grain stone-ground Sonora wheat OR whole-wheat flour, possibly stone-ground
- 7/8 ounces / 25 g sprouted whole-wheat flour, possibly stone-ground
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 ounces / 55 g lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces / 340 g fresh onions, possibly organic, clean weight (for example, torpedo or candy)
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Leaves of several sprigs of fresh thyme
- Leaves of a sprig of winter savory, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/16 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- A dozen fresh garden nasturtium flowers, cleaned (optional)
- 5 ounces / 140 g fresh ricotta, possibly homemade
InstructionsHow to make the dough
Place the flours and salt in a bowl, add the water and oil and mix until you obtain a dough. Knead until nice and smooth. Let it rest, well covered (e.g., wrapped in plastic film), for half an hour.How to prepare the onions
Slice onions into thin half moons. If large, cut in short sections.
Heat olive oil in a skillet. (Alternatively, if you have an oil mister, coat well the bottom of the skillet.) Add onion and stir to coat. Add the thyme and winter savory leaves and stir. Cook on gentle heat until the onions are tender, 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, add the nasturtium flowers, if using, and stir. Let cool while you roll the dough.How to prepare the base and assemble the tart
Preheat oven to 350 F / 177 C.
Lightly dust with flour a piece of parchment paper about 13 inches / 33 cm wide. Working on the parchment paper placed over a working surface, roll the dough into an 11-inch / 28 cm diameter disk.
Add the ricotta to the onions and stir until distributed uniformly. Spread the onion and ricotta on the rolled dough to form an even layer, leaving a 1-inch / 2.5 cm border of clean dough all around.
Fold the uncovered border of dough over the filling and pleat it at regular intervals.
The final act
Slide the parchment paper with the assembled tart onto a baking sheet.
Bake approximately 32 minutes until the crust is crisp. Check after 30 minutes of baking.
Take out of the oven, cut and serve.