Prep Time: 15 minutes total
Cook Time: 30 minutes for the lentils
Keywords: spread gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan lentils tahini
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the toasted sesame tahini
- 1 cup /150 g / 5 1/4 ounces white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the lentils
- 1/2 cup / 100 g / 3 1/2 ounces Colfiorito lentils OR Castelluccio lentils OR other small lentils
- 1 cup / 240 ml water
- A small bay leaf
- 1 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the lentil spread
- Cooked lentils (ingredients above, method below)
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml toasted sesami tahini (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon / 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon harissa mix
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- Additional water to achieve desired consistency, as needed
InstructionsMake the toasted sesame tahini
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet on medium heat until they are tanned and fragrant. This will take just a few minutes. Shake the skillet often or stir the seeds with a spatula. Guard the seeds like a hawk as they burn easily. Transfer the seeds to a plate and let cool completely.
Process the sesame seeds in a small food processor or blender until a thick paste forms. Add the olive oil and process until smooth. Add sea salt and process briefly to distribute. Transfer the tahini to a glass jar, cover with a lid and refrigerate until ready to use.Cook the lentils
Sort the lentils, rinse them, then place them in a small saucepan with the water, bay leaf, garlic and salt. Cover the saucepan and quickly bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and let the lentils simmer, covered, until they are tender, 30 minutes or as needed. Check after 15-20 minutes and estimate the time necessary to complete the cooking.
Remove and discard the bay leaf and garlic. Let the lentils cool in the saucepan.Make the lentil spread
Place the cooked lentils in a food processor. Add all the other ingredients: tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, spices and salt. Process until creamy, adding water as needed to achieve the desired consistency. I keep it fairly dense to serve it as part of a main dish combination (see below).
Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate. Take the bowl out of the refrigerator ahead of serving the spread.
Serve with crackers and/or fresh vegetables cut into bite-sized pieces as appetizer, or spoon on plate to accompany other dishes, like a salad or a slice of frittata).