Konjac noodles and kelp noodles with greens and mushrooms
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 10 miutes to soak the kelp noodles
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Keywords: side gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan leafy greens mushrooms kelp noodles konjac noodles
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 4 ounces / 113 g kelp noodles
- 3.5 ounces / 100 g drained konjac noodles
- 4 ounces / 113 g leafy greens of choice (kale, chard, tatsoi, etc.), clean weight
- 4 ounces / 113 g shiitake mushrooms OR a mix that includes shiitake, maitake, king trumpets, wood ears, beech mushrooms, etc.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons / 22.5 ml extra-virgin olive oil OR algae oil
- 1.5 ounces / 42 g spring onion, red or white, OR torpedo onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed Aleppo pepper OR crushed chili pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce OR coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
Prepare the noodles and all the vegetables before starting to cook the dish.
The konjac noodles I use are fettuccine-shaped, packaged in water, so I drain them, weigh the desired amount, then rinse them and finally cut them into shorter strands to make cooking and eating with the other ingredients easier.
I weigh the desired amount of kelp noodles, rinse them and prepare them according to the instructions in The Ketogenic Kitchen: I heat up water in a small pot (hot but not boiling), take the pot off the heat, plunge the noodles into in, stir and put the lid on. After 10 minutes, I drain the noodles and cut them into shorter strands to make cooking and eating with the other ingredients easier.
Set aside the noodles until ready to add them to the pan. For both types of noodles, follow the package instructions for storing what you don't use for the dish.
Rinse the leafy greens and cut off any tough stems. Thinly slice stems of chard or tatsoi. Pile a few leaves, roll them tights and slice into thin strips. Set aside.
Clean the mushrooms and thinly slice them. Halve slices if large.
Warm up a wok or sauté pan over medium heat, then add the olive or algae oil and swirl to coat. Add the onion and ginger, stir well and turn down the heat to low. Cook until the onion is soft, 5 minutes or so, stirring almost constantly. Add the garlic, stir well and cook for 1 minute, while stirring, until garlic smells fragrant.
Add the pepper, cider vinegar and soy sauce or coconut aminos and stir well. Turn up the heat slightly and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute. Add the leafy greens, mushrooms, konjac noodles and kelp noodles and stir well. Turn down the heat to a level that makes the vegetables simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables and mushrooms are tender.
Adjust the salt (I find that the soy sauce or coconut aminos provide enough salt, so I don't add any), give a final stir and serve immediately.