Kohlrabi slaw with fresh fruit
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: N/A
Keywords: salad gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian kohlrabi carrot onion berries cherries mayonnaise
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 7 ounces / 200 grams kohlrabi, clean weight
- 2 1/2 ounces / 70 grams carrot, clean weight
- 2 tablespoons / 1/2 ounce / 14 grams minced red onion
- 1-2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (basil, dill, parsley or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml mayonnaise, possibly homemade
- 2 teaspoons / 10 ml cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces / 100 grams fresh fruit, for example blueberries, strawberries, cherries, clean weight
After cutting off the leaves and their stems (remember, the leaves are edible), cut the kohlrabi in half lengthwise, then into quarters. Cut away the bottom corner and peel off the tough outermost layer. Weigh then grate the kohlrabi using the extra-coarse side of a hand grater.
Scrub the carrot well and scrape the surface to remove a thin layer of skin. Weigh then grate using the extra-coarse side of a hand grater.
Place the minced onion, the vegetables and the herbs in a serving bowl.
In a ramekin, whisk together the dressing ingredients: mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sea salt and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well.
Prepare the fruit as needed (for example, hull and slice strawberries, pit and quarter cherries, remove stone and slice peaches or apricots) then weigh it. Add the fruit to the vegetables, toss again and serve.