Green bean and torpedo onion salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes total
Cook Time: 20 minutes (depending on personal taste and freshness of beans)
Keywords: steam salad side nut-free soy-free vegan vegetarian green beans sweet onion Italian summer
- 1 pound green beans (snap beans), possibly organic
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped dried cherries (unsweetened and unsulphured), optional
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced and chopped torpedo onion
- 1 tablespoon / 15 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- A touch of freshly ground black pepper
Trim the beans (I only top them) and wash them. Steam the beans until tender to your liking (my preference is for softer beans). Cool the beans quickly in a bath of iced water. Drain and place the beans in a salad bowl to cool thoroughly.
Place the cherries in a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon / 15 ml of lukewarm water. Stir then stir again 15 minutes later. Set aside until ready to use.
Cut the beans into bite-sized pieces (approximately 2 inches / 5 cm long). Add the onion and toss.
Put the rest of the ingredients into a small glass jar. Screw on the lid and shake well. Distribute on the salad and toss gently. Sprinkle the cherries, if using, then toss again. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking, then serve.