Date energy bites
Prep Time: 20 minutes + refrigerator time
Cook Time: N/A
Keywords: snack gluten-free soy-free sugar-free vegetarian vegan dates
Ingredients (makes 14 bites)
- 3 ounces / 85 g pitted dates: I used deglet noor, but other varieties are good as well; weigh the dates after pitting them
- 1 ounce / 28 g toasted cashew pieces (if using whole cashews, chop them before processing them further)
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1-2 teaspoons / 5-10 ml fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon / 7.5 ml water, as needed
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- Additional unsweetened shredded coconut and/or sesame seeds for rolling, 1/2 tablespoon each
Line a small container with wax or parchment paper. Choose a container with a flat bottom, so you can use it to store the bites once shaped.
Put all the ingredients up to and including the salt in a strong blender: since the amount of ingredients is not large, a small bowl is recommended. Process for a short time, scrape the side of the bowl. Repeat until a thick paste forms. If needed (i.e., if the dates are quite dry), add a small amount of water to help the process.
Transfer the paste to the prepared container, cover and refrigerate for several hours.
In a dry skillet, toast the additional unsweetened shredded coconut until light golden, then toast the sesame seeds until fragrant. Set aside.
Cut the chilled paste into 10 g-pieces, roll each between your hands to form a ball, then roll it on the toasted coconut or the sesame seeds. The latter provide a stronger flavor. Put the bites back in the container, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat, or pack for your biking or running adventure.
(You can of course make the bites larger in size.)