Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Keywords: saute side gluten-free vegetarian low-carb soy-free sugar-free vegan celery leek Italian
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 8 ounces / 225 g leek, white and light green portion, clean weight (set aside the dark green portion to make broth or stock)
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces / 225 g celery, diced small
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1-2 anchovy fillets in olive oil (if you omit this ingredient, the dish is vegan; add fine sea salt to taste at the end)
- celery leaves, finely chopped, as topping
Cut the leek(s) in half lengthwise and slice into thin half moons. Rinse them in a colander, then place them in a bowl and fill it with cold water. With your hands, swirl the leeks to clean them well, then scoop them out of the water with a sieve or slotted spoon and drain them in a colander.
Warm up the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or pot. Add the leeks, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the celery and thyme leaves, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle the paprika on the vegetables and stir well. Cover the skillet or pot and cook on gentle heat until the vegetables are soft, stirring every now and then. (The time it takes depends on how fresh the vegetables are.)
Cut the anchovy fillets into small pieces and add to the vegetables. Stir well to blend.
Take off the heat, sprinkle the celery leaves, give a final stir and serve warm.