Peach, berry and rhubarb cobbler
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert nut-free vegetarian peach berry rhubarb American summer
Ingredients (Serves 4-5)
- 1 lb / 450 g peaches, preferably organic
- 3.5 oz. / 100 g rhubarb
- 4 oz. / 115 g blueberries, preferably organic, fresh or frozen
- 4 oz. /115 g blackberries or raspberries, preferably organic, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons / 25 g sugar, preferably ultra-fine
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon / 2.5 ml vanilla extract of good quality
- 1 tablespoon / 7 g corn starch
- 1/2 cup / 65 g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup / 30 g whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon / 3 g baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon / 1.5 g baking soda
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon / 12.5 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons / 1 oz. / 28 g cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml well-shaken [homemade] kefir or buttermilk
InstructionsPrepare the filling
Wash, peel if possible (do not worry if some of the skin ends up in the mix), pit and slice the peaches in a 9.5-inch / 24 cm glass or ceramic deep dish pie plate. While you don't need to worry about making precisely equal slices, try to be consistent and do not make slices thicker than 1/2 inch / 1.25 cm. If the peach is large, cut slices crosswise.
Trim rhubarb and dice it. To distribute better the distinctive rhubarb flavor, make the dice rather small, 1/4-3/8 inch / 6 mm-1 cm side.
If the berries are fresh, you can add them at this point. Otherwise, wait until later (and keep them in the freezer until then).
Distribute sugar, lemon juice and vanilla over fruit and toss gently. Sprinkle corn starch over fruit and again toss gently.Prepare the topping
Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 400 F / 205 C.
Sift together in a bowl the first 6 ingredients of the topping. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips or a tool until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Stir in the kefir or buttermilk with a fork until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.Assemble and bake the cobbler
If the berries are frozen, add them to the peaches and rhubarb now and stir.
Make sure the layer of fruit in the pie plate is even. Drop the batter over the filling by tablespoons, leaving space in between to allow the topping to expand.
Place in the oven and bake until the topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
Cool slightly, about 15 minutes, and serve warm.