Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60-70 minutes
Keywords: saute side gluten-free vegetarian low-carb soy-free sugar-free vegan cabbage onion radicchio Italian
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces / 112 g onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Harissa spice mix, or to taste
- 8 ounces / 225 g savoy cabbage
- 5 ounces / 140 g radicchio rosso di Treviso, variety precoce (early)
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml coconut milk
- fine sea salt, to taste (depending on the salt content of the Harissa spice mix)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almond, lightly toasted in a dry skillet (optional, as topping)
Warm up the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or pot. Add the onion, stir well and cook on gentle heat until soft, 18-20 minutes, stirring often.
Quarter the savoy cabbage. Separate the leaves of radicchio. Cut both vegetables into 1/4 inch / 0.5 cm wide ribbons.
Add the garlic to the onion and stir. After a minute, add the Harissa and stir well. After another minute or so, add the cabbage and stir well. Again wait a minute or so, then add the radicchio and stir well. Cover and cook on gentle heat for 20 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Add the coconut milk, stir well, cover again and continue cooking on gentle heat until the vegetables are soft.
Adjust salt, give it a final stir and take off the heat. If using, sprinkle almonds on top. Serve warm.