Savory zucchini and skyr tart
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes total
Keywords: bake appetizer entree nut-free soy-free vegetarian zucchini cheese
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1 3/4 ounces / 50 g whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 ounces / 50 g whole-grain spelt flour (or another whole-grain flour of choice)
- 1/4 cup / 60 g lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon / 5 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 pound / 450 g zucchini, possibly organic
- 4 ounces / 113 g leek (white and light green portion, clean weight)
- 2 tablespoons / 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Leaves of several sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto, optional (I used pesto a la Solheimar)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces / 200 g Efstidalur II Skyr or fromage blanc
InstructionsHow to make the dough
Make a dough with the ingredients and knead until nice and smooth, not sticky at all. Let it rest, well covered (e.g., wrapped in plastic film), for half an hour.How to prepare the zucchini
Cut the zucchini into sticks and then each stick into thin slices. Cut the leek in half lengthwise then into thin slices. Rinse well to eliminate any dirt.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the leek and stir to coat. Add the thyme leaves and stir. Cook gently until the leek is tender.
Heat olive oil in a skillet. (Alternatively, if you have an oil mister, coat well the bottom of the skillet.) Add the zucchini and stir well. Cook until tender. If the zucchini release a lot of water, let it evaporate, leaving some moisture so it is easy to mix in the skyr later.
Season the zucchini with pesto (if using) salt and pepper and stir. Let cool while you roll the dough.How to prepare the base and assemble the tart
Preheat oven to 350 F / 177 C.
Lightly dust with flour a piece of parchment paper about 13 inches / 33 cm wide. Working on the parchment paper placed over a working surface, roll the dough into an 11-inch / 28 cm diameter disk.
Add the sky (or fromage blanc) to the zucchini and stir until distributed uniformly. Spread the zucchini and cheese on the rolled dough to form an even layer, leaving a 1-inch / 2.5 cm border of clean dough all around.
Fold the uncovered border of dough over the filling and pleat it at regular intervals.
Slide the parchment paper with the assembled tart onto a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
Bake until the crust is crisp, approximately 30-32 minutes.
Take the tart out of the oven, cut and serve.