Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: salad salad appetizer gluten-free low-carb nut-free sugar-free soy-free mushrooms egg baby spinach arugula
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces / 225 g white button or cremini mushrooms or a mix of the two kinds, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup / 2 ounces / 55 g minced fresh red onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml mayonnaise, possibly homemade
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard (the original recipe has Dijon mustard)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce / 30 g baby spinach
- 1 ounce / 30 g arugula
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet and add the onion; cook on gentle heat, stirring often, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 12 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms. Add the dill and the eggs.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Add to the mushroom and egg mixture and toss until evenly distributed; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Line a serving bowl with the baby spinach and arugula. Spoon the mushroom and egg salad on the bed of greens. Before plating, toss to mix in the greens.