Randomness does not really apply to this selection process, because I don't have a jar full of things about myself from which, with eyes covered, I can pick six items at random. Still, I tried to let chance (il caso) guide my choice (scelta), at least to some extent: I picked six things from my hyper-chaotic desk to tell you something about myself through them.
- As a child, I wanted to learn to bind books (rilegare libri). There was a bindery next to my parents' house and for me it was a magic place. I never went inside and could not see much from the outside, so I didn't know what binding books was actually about, but I loved the idea. Many years later, when I was at Mills College studying Computer Science, I took Book Arts classes and my dream came true.
- I am a compulsive collector of things that I find when I walk on the beach (spiaggia): pieces of wood, fragments of shells, pebbles. I think these objects tell stories. The piece of wood in the photo was an amazing find.
- I write with a fountain pen (penna stilografica). I started using fountain pens when I was in second grade or so. As a consequence, my white apron had ink stains, of which I was very proud, because they proved that I was hard at work with my pen.
- I like Baci Perugina. I was born and grew up in Perugia, where these chocolates were created. My deep love for chocolate started very early.
- In college (in Milan) I studied English and German (language and literature). I wrote my thesis (which students must do in Italy to graduate) on a novel by Edith Wharton and still enjoy her works. Suggested (short) reading: Roman Fever.
- I am a great admirer of violinist Joshua Bell. The first time I listened to him in concert, some years ago, it was an amazing and unforgettable experience. I have had many such experiences ever since. A few years ago, I sent him an email inviting him to taste some of my home made ice cream. The only time in my life I have tried to make contact with a celebrity, I received no answer. My admiration for him was not affected, nor was my enjoyment of ice cream making.
After revealing six things about myself, I am required to pass along the meme to six bloggers and here they are, in alphabetical order: Almost Turkish Recipes, An Italian in the US, Babbling Blueberry, Baking History, Champaign Taste and Taste with the Eyes.