Randomness does not really apply to this selection process, because I don't have a jar full of things about myself from which, with eyes covered, I can pick six items at random. Still, I tried to let chance (il caso) guide my choice (scelta), at least to some extent: I picked six things from my hyper-chaotic desk to tell you something about myself through them.
- As a child, I wanted to learn to bind books (rilegare libri). There was a bindery next to my parents' house and for me it was a magic place. I never went inside and could not see much from the outside, so I didn't know what binding books was actually about, but I loved the idea. Many years later, when I was at Mills College studying Computer Science, I took Book Arts classes and my dream came true.
- I am a compulsive collector of things that I find when I walk on the beach (spiaggia): pieces of wood, fragments of shells, pebbles. I think these objects tell stories. The piece of wood in the photo was an amazing find.
- I write with a fountain pen (penna stilografica). I started using fountain pens when I was in second grade or so. As a consequence, my white apron had ink stains, of which I was very proud, because they proved that I was hard at work with my pen.
- I like Baci Perugina. I was born and grew up in Perugia, where these chocolates were created. My deep love for chocolate started very early.
- In college (in Milan) I studied English and German (language and literature). I wrote my thesis (which students must do in Italy to graduate) on a novel by Edith Wharton and still enjoy her works. Suggested (short) reading: Roman Fever.
- I am a great admirer of violinist Joshua Bell. The first time I listened to him in concert, some years ago, it was an amazing and unforgettable experience. I have had many such experiences ever since. A few years ago, I sent him an email inviting him to taste some of my home made ice cream. The only time in my life I have tried to make contact with a celebrity, I received no answer. My admiration for him was not affected, nor was my enjoyment of ice cream making.
After revealing six things about myself, I am required to pass along the meme to six bloggers and here they are, in alphabetical order: Almost Turkish Recipes, An Italian in the US, Babbling Blueberry, Baking History, Champaign Taste and Taste with the Eyes.
Click on the button to hear me pronounce the Italian words mentioned in the post:
or launch the sei cose a caso audio file [mp3].
[Depending on your set-up, the audio file will be played within the browser or by your mp3 player application. Please, contact me if you encounter any problems.]