Recently, I tagged Marta, An Italian in the US, with the "six random things" meme, so it is quite fair that she returns the favor, with interest, in the form of 28 questions (that looks rather random to me) to answer. Since this will be a longish post, passo al sodo (I'll cut to the chase):
1. Last movie you saw in a theater?
"The Band's Visit" (NY Times review)
2. What book are you reading?
"La luna di carta" (The Paper Moon) by Andrea Camilleri (available in English translation). I am actually reading this Montalbano novel for the second time, to fulfill a promise (I realize this is a bit enigmatic, but everything will become clear in the not too distant future).
3. Favorite board game?
I am not a board game player.
4. Favorite magazine?
The New York Review of Books, of which I am a long-time subscriber.
5. Favorite smells?
Vanilla, vaniglia e anice stellato (vanilla and star anise: what a pair!), the ocean.
6. Favorite sounds?
Leaving aside music: the ocean, the underwater world (i.e., the sounds I hear while I am diving), laughter.
7. Worst feeling in the world?
Feeling inadequate to the situation or the task at hand.
8. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?
I need to drink my tea.
9. Favorite fast food place?
No fast food for me, thanks.
10. Future child’s name?
I don't see a child in my future.
11. Finish this statement. “If I had lot of money I'd...?
...start a charitable organization to help girls and women around the world. I would get involved in how it distributes funds and travel a bit to visit the places where such funds are distributed.
12. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
13. Storms - cool or scary?
Cool, until they get to a point when they endanger people, then scary.
14. Favorite drinks?
A hot cappuccino, made with coffee that has been roasted well and the right amount of good-quality milk that has been heated up to the right temperature. I wish you could see the dreamy look on my face.
15. Finish this statement, “If I had the time I would….”?
...have a bigger vegetable garden.
16. Do you eat the stems on broccoli?
Are there really people who don't?
17. If you could dye your hair any color, what would be your choice?
I like highlights, but I am afraid I won't have patience for the lengthy process they require.
18. Name all the different cities/towns you’ve lived in.
Perugia, Milano and Sesto San Giovanni (Italy), Orinda, Berkeley, now Trinidad and Oakland (California).
19. Favorite sports to watch?
Nuoto (swimming), but I haven't watched it in a long long time.
20. One nice thing about the person who sent this to you?
Marta is a wonderful person, a true gem. I am very happy we met, something that has happened thanks to our blogs. It was friendship at first sight.
21. What’s under your bed?
Nothing, unless our cat decides to hang out there.
22. Would you like to be born as yourself again?
Yes, but I would make a different career choice.
23. Morning person, or night owl?
Middle of the way: I am not very productive early in the morning or late at night.
24. Over easy, or sunny side up?
Sunny side up, and a childhood ritual to eat it.
25. Favorite places to relax?
Outside and in movement (kayaking, walking, biking, etc.), in a swimming pool (swimming) or at home practicing yoga.
26. Favorite pie?
I recently made a butternut squash galette with yeasted dough from Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" that is simply fabulous. I highly recommend it.
27. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Cioccolato (chocolate), both to make and to eat, though nowadays it is mostly the former, and I must say, even though it sounds conceited, that my gelato al cioccolato is quite good.
28. Of all the people you tagged this to, who’s most likely to respond first?
I will tag only one person, which I guess solves the problem: Lisa of Champaign Taste, my wonder-partner in the Novel Food event.